Mother of Amina and Sara Said Breaks Her Silence, Wants Justice for the Girls

We have often wondered why Amina and Sara Said’s mother, Patricia Owens (or ‘Tissie’, a nickname for her used by many in her family) didn’t take a more vocal role in this situation. This behavior didn’t make sense. Her children had been viciously “honor” killed by their own father, her husband of many years. Was she afraid that the same fate awaited her or, God forbid, was she just uncaring? Some even speculated that she took an active role in delivering the teens to their father. Law enforcement has, of course, cleared her of any wrongdoing in this situation, but still, her silence was baffling.

Amina and Sarah Said

Yesterday, in what I would consider to be her finally breaking her silence, Patricia stated in an interview that “justice needs to be served for Amina and Sara.”
Why it took over a year for her to do this, I’m not sure.

Gail Gartrell, the great-aunt to the girls, has certainly been much more vocal, and as an extension, has challenged Patricia to take a more active role in championing the cause of bring Yasser to justice. Gail believes that Patricia’s role in the murders was not nearly as innocent as it may appear on the surface. At best, Gail believes that Patricia stood by and allowed this to happen when she could have taken the girls away and stayed away.

We have many post about this and I invite you to read each one. We’ll have Gail’s comments as soon as possible. We still don’t have any idea how this is going to end, other than to say that God will deal out Justice in the end. I am glad though that Patricia has finally decided to break her silence and take a more active role in championing her murdered girls; her “honor killed” girls.

LEWISVILLE (CBS 11 / TXA 21) ― An honor killing. That’s how the mother of two girls murdered in their father’s taxicab last year describes their deaths.

Amina and Sara Said’s father, Yasser Said, is wanted for capital murder for allegedly shooting them 11 times on New Year’s Night 2008.

“Justice needs to be served for Amina and Sara,” Patricia Owens said in an exclusive interview with us today. “I’m here to get the word out on honor killing and justice for Amina and Sara.”

And, referring to her ex-husband, she said, “I want him to be caught; I want him to be punished for what he did to the girls. They did not deserve that.”

Owens cried and wiped away tears throughout the interview.

Patricia Owens says the biggest mistake of her life was to bring her daughters back to their Lewisville home. She had previously left Texas out of fear of their father, her then-husband Yasser Said.

”That was the stupidest thing I could ever do,” she observed. “If I would’ve known he was going to do that I would’ve killed him.”

Owens says their father was offering the girls a night out on January 1, 2008. Amina had even come home from a friend’s house. “Amina said she was hungry and he said he was going to take them to eat,” Owens said, “and the next thing I knew the Lewisville Police was at my door.”

The officers were there to notify her of a 911 call that had come into Irving Police, in which one of her daughters screamed she was being shot.

Owens believes Yasser Said must have had help to escape and to stay on the run.

Asked if she had helped Said in any way, she denied it. “No! No. How could I cover for somebody who killed my kids?” she asked.

But she does feel guilty about their deaths: “I feel totally responsible. Because I’m their mother, and it’s my job to protect them,” she said. “And I let them go with an evil man that took their life away.”

Original Link.

Dr. Phyllis Chesler weighs in on the interview:

The mother who lured her two young daughters, Sarah and Amina, to their tragic deaths at the hand of their father, Yaser Said, now regrets what she did. Downplaying her own role, or rather, insisting that she is innocent, Patricia (“Tissy”) Owens calls the murder of her daughters an “honor killing” by an “evil man.” Despite years of paternal child abuse at home, “Tissy” now insists that she had no idea that Yaser was actually going to kill the girls whom he sexually and physically abused and whose “too Western” ways enraged him.

Sarah and Amina refused to marry older, unknown men from Egypt in arranged marriages. They had American ways, academic ambitions, and Christian friends, including Christian boyfriends. Unthinkable! And, like Rifqa Bary, they knew they were in danger and so they ran away. Their mother sweet talked them back home. They were dead within hours. Their father has never been found.

My guess? “Tissy” is angry that Yaser never sent for her—and that she has also lost her son, Islam, who has mainly been living with his paternal uncles or perhaps with his father. She is alone. She has no one. Perhaps she wants some attention—and the media is only to ready to provide “Tissy” with that for another fifteen minutes of infamous fame.

Here is the issue and it is one that I raise in my book Woman’s Inhumanity to Woman. Are female collaborators guilty, morally if not criminally, in the crimes committed by their husbands, boyfriends, or by their male business associates toward even more vulnerable women and children? Was the battered Hedda Nussbaum guilty in the death of Lisa Steinberg, the five-year-old allegedly adopted daughter who was tragically and repeatedly abused and then finally beaten to death by Joel Steinberg?

Is “Tissy” likewise responsible? Are the wives who don’t ask and don’t tell anyone, including themselves, about their husbands’ sex slaves, also morally and criminally liable? If not, why not?

See below for previous post:

• Honor Killing in Dallas
  • “The Story is Bigger Than an Honor Murder in Dallas or What Happens in Dallas Stays in Dallas; Who Knew?” by Dr. Phyllis Chesler
  • “Human Sacrifice in Dallas: No One Saved These Girls” by Dr. Phyllis Chesler
  • “Raging Muslim Taxi Drivers in North American Cities” by Dr. Phyllis Chesler
  • “Murderous Mothers. The Hidden Female Face of Honor Killing” by Dr. Phyllis Chesler
  • “Still Dead in Dallas. An Update on the Double Honor Murders” by Dr. Phyllis Chesler
  • FBI Calls Dallas Murder Case an ‘Honor Killing,’ Upsetting Muslim Group
  • Gail Gartrell, Great-Aunt to Sarah and Amina Said, Speaks About The “Honor Killing” Part 1.
  • Gail Gartrell, Great-Aunt to Sarah and Amina Said, Speaks About The “Honor Killing” Part 2.
  • Gail Gartrell, Great-Aunt to Sarah and Amina Said, Speaks About The “Honor Killing” Part 3.
  • Gail Gartrell, Great-Aunt to Sarah and Amina Said, Speaks About The “Honor Killing” Part 4.
  • America’s Most Wanted to Air Segment on Said Sisters “Honor Killing”.
  • America’s Most Wanted Airs Said Sisters “Honor Killing”, Caves to Political Correctness.
  • Gail Gartrell, Great-Aunt to Sarah and Amina Said, Interviewed on Anniversary of “Honor Killing”.
  • America’s Most Wanted to Air Segment on Yaser Said for Said Sisters “Honor Killing”.
  • Celebration Of Life For Amina and Sarah Said – Honor Killed by Their Father”.
  • 17 Responses to “Mother of Amina and Sara Said Breaks Her Silence, Wants Justice for the Girls”

1. confused says:

Gail, always wants the spot light!!!!!!

2. Steve says:

Confused,
      Let me clear it up for you.
      If it wasn’t for Gail, the girls would have practically no voice at all. Their mother certainly isn’t being proactive. It took her over a year to come out and publicly declare the murders “honor killings”. Tissie may not be officially culpable according to the police, but the court of public opinion isn’t likely to as nice. She was negligent at best and an accessory at worse. Only time will tell.

3. Southern Style says:

Confused user – that is insane of you to add that the aunt wants the spotlight when she is actually the spokesmen for the girls. This has nothing to do with negativity, but truth be told, there was no honor in that killing. I feel as though if you move to America, you should adapt to the american way of life. My heart goes out to the family and friends of these two beautiful girls. That is simply foolish and not to down play the mother, but I feel as though she should have been a better advocate for her children because I know that if they were mine, I would not care who the daddy is, I would have left him and made it on my own!!

4. Donald Ross says:

Why isn’t this so-called mother, Patricia Coleman (Tissy) in prison? She clearly delivered these poor girls to their murderer. Isn’t it true that she was living with her brother-in-law in New York State right after the funeral? She’s coming out now demanding justice because the Islamic men in her life have deserted her. She thought she’d be in the land of Allah by now. Mama Tissy is a pathetic liar and a despicable mother. Hopefully the justice that Ms. Coleman Said craves will be her own demise. May God have mercy on her murderous soul.

5. starfish says:

That mother Patrica Owens Said is every bit as guilty as the MONSTER who shot them. She knew he was molesting, and beating them, and she did NOTHING to stop him. If that were not bad enough, the son bought the gun, and their own mother ( the other MONSTER ) tolled the girls who were saft finley back just to be murdured. She knew full well what he was capable of. Put her in prison,, for the rest of her MISSRABLE life, that is the very least they should do to her.

6. starfish says:

Put the witch in prison for the rest of her misrable life. She knew that her husband was sexualy molesting, and beating her daughters. They were in Tulsa, OK relattive safe, but that horrable women tolled them back to their death. She is just as guilty as he is.

7. scdallas says:

This guy should have been caught by now! If he has relatives in Egypt, and that’s where they think he is, why in the world have they not caught him?!?!?! I find it inexcusable that this monster hasn’t been brought to justice.

8. Steve says:

I agree completely!!

9. Anonymous says:

I’m Egyptian and I’m never going to speak tissie said you child tormenting jerk

10. peggy says:

I hope the family keeps the nation updated on the search for Yasser. So many strangers have become concerned with justice for those 2 beautiful young ladies. God knows where Yasser is and sometime he will bring this man to justice. I pray that EVERYONE envolved in the death of those 2 will suffer for their part.

11. Magen says:

I can tell you from experience that these two girls were the sweetest people you would ever meet. I went to high school with these girls and rode the bus to and from school everyday! After hearing what had happened to them I felt so helpless because no one knew what was really going on in their lives. They never got on the bus with sadden faces or sorrowed looks. They always had a smile on and laughing with their peers. And as for their mother and their brother, I still remember to this day they were at the vigil that our school held for them. They said they wanted justice for these girls, but where are they now!? I hope one day that God might have a little mercy on their souls.

12. Tessie says:

That nasty bitch of a mother ‘Patricia “Tissie” Owens-Said’ knows where the killer father is. That pig of a mess is just as guilty as he is. Burn in hell Patricia “Tissie” Owens-Said

13. Tessie says:

Patricia “Tissie” Owens-Said knows where her killer husband is. She is a liar and a pig. Rot in the bowels of hades forever you evil b—- Patricia “Tissie” Owens-Said

14. Jamie Smith says:

Just saw a program on the ID channel about this. Patricia may as well have pulled the trigger. She deserves no sympathy, no support and no publicity. She’s guilty. She was a willing accomplice in their deaths. She did nothing to save them and participated in killing her daughters. Her silence was consent. NO mother that delivers her children to be slaughtered deserves a minutes peace. I hope she is tormented to the grave. Any woman that chooses a man over her children is no mother. What a complete waste of life. The world would of been much better off if Patricia was the one in the grave. This story made me furious! What a weak despicable pathetic woman. She’s earned a lifetime of suffering and should be rotting in jail! The cultures that embrace honor killings are made up of subhuman animals. This culture should be erased. It’s a threat to every person on the planet.

15. Rosie Lowe says:

I just watched the program on ID and I am totally sickened that Patricia Owens Said has not been prosecuted as accessory to the murder of her 2 daughters. I also ask where were her parents when she married Yaser Said when she was 15 and he was 30? Outrageous! But that being said she delivered those girls to be murdered after a lifetime of abuse from their monster father. I would have taken a bullet gladly to save their lives. I also believe Patricia Owens knows exactly where her husband is. In the name of all that is right, prosecute Patricia Owens Said! That being said I hope she never has a moments peace.

16. Carol Avant says:

Until Islam is exposed and expunged from the face of the earth, hatred of unimaginable magnitude, from the seed to the grave, will reign hand in hand with Islam. It is NOT a religion of peace. In their own lands, Muslims don’t even pretend that Islam has anything to do with peace. It is only about domination.

17. Steve says:

It is a very infuriating situation, from the possible complacency from Patricia, the seeming cover up by Yasser’s son and the fact that Yasser continues to be on the FBI wanted list, but has yet to be captured.
      Gail gave the girls a voice that they otherwise never would have had. God bless her for that.
      Rest in peace, Amina and Sara.